Systems Engineer - Technical Staff
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
The Systems Engineering group builds one-of-a-kind prototypes to meet critical national security needs. We build satellites, space and airborne payloads with imaging sensors, laser communications and laser radar systems. Our prototypes are on ground systems and on orbit, on large satellites and small CubeSats, flying on manned and unmanned aircraft, collecting data about stars, exoplanets, weather and other phenomena of interest.
Our close-knit teams work with complex systems over the complete project implementation life-cycle, from trade studies, concept and architecture design to assembly, integration, field or flight testing and operation. Staff members have broad expertise across multiple scientific and engineering disciplines including astrophysics, aerospace, mechanical, electrical and software engineering.
The selected candidate will lead a team performing systems engineering activities for a large program. Responsibilities include developing, flowing down and tracking requirements, architecting systems, developing an MBSE model of the systems and their interfaces, planning and leading verification and validation activities, and identifying risks and defining risk mitigation strategies.
The successful candidate should have:
- A PhD in Physics, Mechanical, Electrical, Aero/Astro, Software Engineering, or related fields and at least 7 years of relevant experience with systems engineering for space or airborne systems, or in lieu of a PhD, an MS degree and 10 years of relevant experience
- The ability to support a full range of systems engineering activities for multiple programs
- The ability to use a systems perspective to identify needed technology development efforts
- Demonstrated experience leading multi-disciplinary teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to produce and present professional written reports and presentations
- Experience with Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) tools is required.
- Experience with integration of hardware and software is helpful
Occasional travel may be required.
At MIT Lincoln Laboratory, our exceptional career opportunities include many outstanding benefits to help you stay healthy, feel supported, and enjoy a fulfilling work-life balance. Benefits offered to employees include:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans
- MIT-funded pension
- Matching 401K
- Paid leave (including vacation, sick, parental, military, etc.)
- Tuition reimbursement and continuing education programs
- Mentorship programs
- A range of work-life balance options
- ... and much more!
Selected candidate will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation and must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret level DoD security clearance.
MIT Lincoln Laboratory is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, or genetic information; U.S. citizenship is required.
Requisition ID: 40709