Security Operations Director
Our new Security Operations Director will be responsible for defining SOC service offerings, assembling delivery teams and successfully delivering security services to local governments using contracted cyber professionals and students.
CyberTrust Massachusetts is a new non-profit committed to growing and diversifying the cyber workforce, creating new and innovative opportunities for education and employment, and hardening the security posture of under-resourced local entities. Leveraging state and federal startup funding, CyberTrust enhances cyber education programs with hands-on, experiential learning, both through our state-of-the-art cyber range and by placing students in a live security operations center (SOC) that serves local governments, nonprofits and small businesses. To collaborate on this ambitious agenda, CyberTrust is forming a consortium of committed companies and colleges—anchored in community colleges and state universities, where programs can best reach underrepresented groups. By partnering together, we can ensure that any student interested in cybersecurity has options towards a high-wage job with pathways for growth, and that any local government has access to affordable and effective cybersecurity services.
Security Operations Director
Over the next several months, CyberTrust will begin to serve local governments with a variety of cybersecurity services to improve their cyber posture and prepare them for onboarding into a SOC. These new services will include assessments; scanning and testing; cyber program planning; incident response planning; policy and playbook development; training; and exercising in one of our range environments. CyberTrust will then begin to onboard local governments into one of the SOCs hosted at either Bridgewater State University or the Springfield Cyber Center of Excellence, offering an array of monitoring and response services.
With CyberTrust’s dual mission of educating the next generation of cyber talent and serving under-resourced local entities, all services will be delivered with a combination of teams of students and contracted managed security service providers or consultants (vCISO).
Our new Security Operations Director will be responsible for defining the service offerings, assembling the delivery teams and successfully delivering the services.
This role is located in Massachusetts (work-from-home), with a regular presence in the SOCs and with local government customers.
· Set the strategy for CyberTrust services offerings and growth
· Define the services to be delivered, striking the right balance between affordability and service impact; develop a base of services that will be delivered with significant economies of scale across municipalities statewide.
· Build and maintain trusted relationships with municipal customers
· Select contractors, including MSSP and other consultants, to deliver services; negotiate contracts; establish accountability for results.
· Develop and organize a hiring and training model for the part-time student workforce (numbering up to 50 in a semester) and full-time supervisors to maximize student learning while serving a productive role on the operations team.
· Manage the security services P&L, revenue and spending
· Define and negotiate quality of service measures with customers, and establish corresponding accountability among CyberTrust and partners.
Desired experience and qualifications:
· 10 years cyber work experience, with 5 years in cyber operations (must have)
· Experience managing a SOC (must have)
· Deep knowledge of cyber defense, threats, tools and technology (must have)
· Managing customer relationships (must have)
· Project or team leadership (must have)
· BS/BA degree in a STEM discipline (preferred)
· Experience managing a budget (must have) and P&L (preferred)
· Solving complex problems: technical/product, financial, people/organizational issues.
· Strategy development
· Mission driven—motivated to create positive change
· Passionate about advancing diversity, equity and inclusion
· “Cyber geek”—deep interest and curiosity about the field
· Strong collaborator and communicator
· Risk-taker; comfortable working without a playbook
· Learning and growth mindset