Senior Software Systems Engineer TD&R (REMOTE) | Appliance Engineer
What You’ll Do
You will work closely with Secure Malware Analytics (SMA) engineering and Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS) teams to automate build, installation, monitoring, and management of appliances running the SMA platform. You will also work closely with customer support to handle escalations requiring engineering support, and then improve the product to prevent those issues from repeating. You'll also work on improving the security and resilience of the platform itself, building cluster assembly and maintenance tools that can be operated by customers without detailed expertise on the underlying stack.
- Design and develop software to back our on-premise range of products and supporting infrastruture.
- Evaluate, adapt, and automate deployment and maintenance of technology stacks, both from other internal teams and the outside world.
- Maintain and improve (or, where appropriate, rewrite) the build, deployment and update infrastructure for the appliance.
- Engage with other engineering teams to identify and triage bugs impacting the appliance and represent appliance customers' interests when design decisions are being made.
- Implement and manage infrastructure for data federation/sharing between the cloud version of SMA and deployed appliances.
- Develop deployment and configuration tools for unassisted implementations.
- Writing detailed documentation that could include user needs, system specifications, observed issues with remediation recommendations or implementation requirements in order to develop or modify the appliance.
- Automate application monitoring and alerting.
- Assisting in support escalations for remote troubleshooting of on-premise deployments.
Who You’ll Work With
A team of highly competent, collaborative, experienced engineers. Collaborating with engineers from other teams at Secure Malware Analytics.
- Knowledge of Linux servers in hands off environments.
- Understanding of Linux services, logging, and system management.
- Familiarity with systemd or similar process supervision tools.
- Experience designing and implementing software with security constraints and attack surface in mind.
- Willing to learn Go to expand existing appliance and system management software.
- Familiarity with at least one SQL database preferred.
Nice to have skills:
- Experience with Nix as a build system.
- Familiarity with embedded systems.
- Familiarity with Elasticsearch and Postgres.
- Familiarity with Bash programming.
- Experience administering, monitoring and tuning IPTables firewalls.
- Familiarity with virtualization tools.
- Familiarity with containerization tools.
- Experience designing and implementing maintenance and automation tools for clustered systems.
- Familiarity with the Linux syscall interface.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all. We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company.
We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
Cisco Covid-19 Vaccination Requirements The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.